Q: What is a CO2 Laser?
A: It is a medical Laser that delivers controlled energy to the vaginal tissue, so that the cells make more collagen, the vaginal mucosa regains its elasticity and moisture.
Q: Who is a candidate for Monalisa Touch treatment?
- Patients with symptoms of menopause
- Patients with history of breast cancer, thrombophlebitis, or other contraindications to estrogen therapy.
- Patients with inadequate response to estrogen therapy
- Patients who experience a decline of treatment results with estrogen
- Premenopausal women who have had their ovaries removed, for cancer or other medical indications.
Q: Where can I have the Monalisa Touch treatment?
A: The MonaLisa Touch is a quick, simple and safe procedure that will be done in the office. The procedure is performed by Dr. Mirela Cernaianu, a board certifiedobstetrician/gynecologist.
Q: What should you expect during or after the Monalisa Touch?
- The procedure is virtually painless, requires no anesthesia and typically is done in under 5 minutes.
- Slight discomfort during the insertion of the probe, especially if the vaginal canal is narrow (more likely if you have been experiencing pain during intercourse).
- The sensation during the treatment has been described as a “vibration” and the air puffs are reported as feeling pleasant and help relax the canal
- Some patients might experience a pinch when the probe is rotated
- Treatment near the introitus has been described as “tingling”
- There may be a slight “sizzle” sound during the pulse at introitus
- Some patients report the vaginal entrance felt “irritated’ after treatment
- There have been occasional reports of discharge or light bleeding after treatment
- Discomfort has been reported as “2” on 1-10 scale.
Q: How many treatments does it take?
A: Patients receive three 5 minute in-office treatments that are spaced six weeks apart.
Q: When will I see results?
A: Most MonaLisa Touch patients feel improvement after the very first treatment, although the procedure calls for three 5 minute treatments that are generally spaced over an 18-week period.
Q: How long does it last?
A: After the third treatment, patients should expect to come back annually for a maintenance treatment.
Q: Are there any restrictions after the treatment?
A: Patients can return to normal activities after the procedure, but should refrain from sexual activity for 2-3 days. Dr. Cernaianu will determine a post-procedure regimen that is right for you.
Q: Will the procedure be covered by my medical insurance?
A: The MonaLisa Touch is currently not covered by insurance or Medicare, as no procedure code has been established.
Q: How much will the procedure cost?
A: HERA Health Care offers a special price until the end of October 2015, of $650 for each session. All the patients who start their treatment before Oct 31, 2015 qualify to pay $650 for the annual maintenance treatments as well. Delays over 90 days between recommended sessions (including the annual session) forfeit the special pricing, and current price will be charged.
On November 1, 2015 the cost will become $850 per session. Breast cancer survivors qualify for the $650 price anytime, as long as they can provide us with a pathology report. You should expect to pay each treatment at the time of service. Credit cards and cash are accepted.